Welcome the Holidays with DIY Winter Door Mats
Homemade projects are a wonderful way to ring in the holiday season, and a great place to start is by making a cheerful DIY winter door mat. From festive phrases to seasonal scenes, you can deck out your porch with a custom-made welcome mat in as little as 20 minutes! Here’s how.
- A plain doormat – can be purchased at any major home retailer such as Home Depot or Target
- Outdoor acrylic paint or spray paint – one bottle for each color in your design
- Paint brushes (if using acrylic paint) – “sponge” paint brushes work great, or old brushes with hard bristles
- Mat design
- Scissors or X-Acto knife
- Tape or spray-on adhesive
- Select a design and cut as needed, creating a stencil
- Lay stencil flat on your mat, securing in place with tape or spray-on adhesive
- Using paint colors of your choice, apply or spray paint to fill in the stencil
- If using acrylic paint, do not stroke on paint, rather blot it on for maximum coverage
- Start with darker colors first and layer on lighter colors last
- Let air dry for 20 minutes
Ready to get started? Here are five printable welcome mat designs we’ve created just for you. Pinterest also has a wide assortment of printable designs for year-round welcome mat customization.