Top Trends from the International Builders’ Show 2018
We brought back the latest & greatest in exterior design and more from #IBS2018
The LiveAbode team has just returned from the NAHB 2018 International Builders’ Show (IBS) and the NKBA 2018 Kitchen & Bath Industry Show (KBIS), with fresh exterior and interior design ideas that we can’t wait to share with you. IBS and KBIS are two of the largest trade shows in the industry, traditionally drawing more than 2,000 manufacturers and suppliers presenting the hottest products in over 300 categories. Here are some of top trends we observed from exhibitors in the home, design and building industry.
The cultural shift toward mindfulness and creating a home sanctuary is especially evident in bathroom designs as well as outdoor living spaces. The blues and greens used in these spaces create a feeling of calm, serenity and escape.
- Kohler’s standalone tubs and hydrotherapy tubs create a luxurious spa experience at home
- Mason-Lite outdoor fireplaces can provide a cozy escape in your own backyard
More functions than ever before have evolved as part of the growing trend in Smart Home technology. Here are a few that stood out at this year’s show.
- Kohler’s Sensate water sensor allows the user to control temperature and volume at the touch of a button
- Eaton’s HALO smart lighting system offers motion sensors, Bluetooth integration, voice controls and wireless on-the-go control for security and convenience
- Marvin’s Lock Status Sensor’s concealed design preserves the beauty of windows and doors without impacting performance
Scandinavian design, which is built on the principles of affordability, simplicity, and functionality, will continue to trend in 2018. We love the sleek, simple and clean lines that continue to dominate every facet of interior and exterior design.
- Masonite’s vibrant, bold doors, with simple window designs and clear sidelights add impactful minimalist style to your interior and exterior
- Elkay’s sleek white cabinets with a blue apron added a bright pop of color to a sleek, minimalist kitchen design
Bold and Dark Colors
As we recently discussed in our 2018 Letter from the Editor, dark and bold colors remain popular this year and that trend dominated the exhibits and products being showcased at IBS.
- Marvin’s booth featured dark windows and doors with dark trim and hardware, an example of the black on black trend in exteriors
- Hestan showcased a rainbow of color choices for both their interior ovens and exterior grills, including bright orange and blue models
If you’re looking to make an update to your home in 2018, we hope this provided you with some inspiration. We’re excited to share more applications of these trends in color and exterior home design in the coming months.